Our program for 2018 is still in planning – it looks like it will be jam-packed with activities so plan on setting aside two days to make the most of the 2018 Kandos Gardens Fair.
FULL PROGRAM 2016
Here is our planned program of events over the CWA Kandos Gardens Fair weekend on 2 and 3 April 2016. It’s a full weekend of activities and gardens with lunch and refreshments available at a number of venues. Tickets will be available as you enter town or at the gardens.
Printed brochures with maps will be available on the weekend when you arrive.
For those planning their trips, the locations are:
Coxs Creek Road (approximately 20 minutes drive outside Rylstone on a dirt road. The gardens are close together and we recommend visiting all three as a group of gardens. All properties are owned by artists, and their personalities and interests are reflected in their gardens and homes. These gardens include:
- Wombat Gully – a sustainable property with a handmade mud brick home. Plenty of natives as well as a formal walled garden. Chooks, fruit trees and veg abound in a very special property.
- Winton – an historic property and cottage with a rambling old fashioned farm garden that could be taken directly from a book, complete with donkey, goats, ducks and chooks.
- Springvale – a sculptor’s garden with intriguing sculptures that fit into the landscape. A surprise property with so much to see and explore and be fascinated by.
Charbon (approximately 5 minutes from Kandos)
- Rhonda’s Garden – a new resident in the area is transforming her yard into a useful and attractive garden. See what can be done with a good eye and hard work on a newly purchased property and the delights a tree change can bring.
Kandos (the “town” properties)
St Dominic’s Convent – once home to nun’s, now a private residence. Over nearly three years this garden is having a transformation back to it’s original style with heritage roses and old fashioned perennials. Complete with it’s own Chapel and Grotto, there’s plenty to see.
- The Hall – formerly a local club Hall, this is now a private dwelling with masses of character and innovative ideas. Focussing on durable, low maintenance plantings, this is always a winner with visitors and was previously “Visitor’s Choice”. Charm and quirkiness combined in spades.
- Mary’s Garden – another example of a modern take on a country classic – what was once a modest fibre cottage has been transformed with a wonderful no lawn garden that fits it’s setting perfectly.
Kandos Museum – what was once the Methodist Church is undergoing a massive transformation, both as a Museum as well as the garden, displaying how a community property can have a low maintenance yet attractive garden. Natives and roses combine in a public garden that is currently in progress.
- Peter and Bonnie’s Garden – lots to wander around and see here on a true country style garden opposite the golf course. Wonderful natives, trees in a parkland setting, vegetables, fish ponds, fruit trees and chooks all make for a wonderful lifestyle property.
Country Rylstone (out of town properties)
Coomber – a premier sheep station is opening its gates to show it’s sprawling garden, offering a delightful oasis in an idyllic country setting.
- Horsegap – another working property offering many items of interest to visitors, including many established native trees and shrubs, an orchard, vegetables and secret garden.
These properties show what can lie off the beaten track and the treasures in taking a detour.
In addition, the CWA Kandos Gardens Fair will offer:
- a Saturday market
- guest speakers, including gardening celebrities, with talks and workshops
- a walking art trail around Kandos